Sunday, August 23, 2009

Traditions


I have to admit we don't have a ton of family traditions. However, the few that we do have I truly enjoy and hope my kids will grow up having good memories of them as well. My family (Alicia)has dinner every other Sunday together. We rotate who's house we have it at and everyone brings something, but it is something we have done since my oldest brother got married and has continued since! We love to get together and have a good time. We are very involved in each other's lives and support one another.


I love holiday traditions! I tend to get excited for the holidays around August. I love everything about them! We have started a new tradition. For the past three years we get together with our neighbors, and favorite friends, for soup before going trick-or-treating. It gets us warm before going out in the cold weather. Our kids are the same age and are best friends, so it's always a lot of fun to get together.

Christmas Eve my parents would always give us new pajama's to wear. I loved that! It was something I would look forward to. Who doesn't love early presents??? Sometimes my mom would make them to match. Yes, she was that kind of mom. The one who likes to match her kids clothes. I do remember a beautiful white night gown she made for me when I was 5 or 6 years old. Just a few years ago my mom got everyone, even the adults, new pajamas. We couldn't resist changing and taking a few pictures. It was so much fun!


We would also draw names for Christmas and exchange those presents on Christmas Eve. Now days we spend Christmas Eve (my favorite day of the year) with my family. We usually have a big dinner, visit my nephew's grave and sing a few carols to him, then come back to my parents for presents and games. Christmas Day we spend the afternoon with Bill's family. We always have a big lunch and take turns watching each other open presents.

Every year we go camping with Bill's family at Fish Lake. That is where so many of his childhood memories stem from! He loves it there and we enjoy going as a family too.

No comments:

Post a Comment