Thursday, August 20, 2009

Extended Family




We had Stella sealed to us on our 5 year anniversary. It was an amazing experience to be in the temple with her on such a special day! When the temple worker brought her in she had the biggest eyes and the rosiest cheeks. She looked around with such curiosity! I will never forget the expression on her face. My mom actually made her blessing dress which was quite a feat! She has an eye condition that makes it hard for her to keep her eyes open, especially in bright lights. I loved how her dress turned out and I'm forever grateful to her for making it.



By Christmas we had exchanged personal information, but hadn't talked except through letters. We received a fun package on our door from Dellany and her parents on Christmas Eve. I called and talked to her mom Christmas Day. We decided (without talking to Dellany since she was taking a nap at the time) to get together later that day. I was so excited to see them again! It had been over 7 months at this point. I just hoped it was going to be OK with Dellany. Luckily she was thrilled when we stopped by! I was happy to see her so happy to have the chance to see Stella again. We spent a few hours over there that night and loved every minute of it!



That was the beginning of an open adoption with them. These days we exchange emails, pictures and see each other several times a year. It has been a great experience and we consider her and her family as our own. We never imagined we'd have a relationship like this when we were filling out our paperwork. Every birth parent is different, and in this case it was healing for Dellany to see Stella again. I'm glad we made the trip to see her that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment