Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lately I've been thinking a lot about adoption and our experiences over the past 5 years. I think mostly because I wrote a book about going about how we became a family. I didn't realize how much I love writing and enjoy expressing myself through poetry. I have written several poems since I wrote my book. I'm trying to come up with enough poems of my own to replace the ones I put into my original book. I hear it's quite difficult and expensive to get copyright from the authors. I have to say I have been so lucky with both of my children to have such great experiences and I absolutely adore their birth parents!

Most people who have not been involved on either side of adoption can't fathom the idea of an open adoption, but I just tell them you never know until your in that position. Even when I was younger when I would think about my family I would always picture myself adopting a child. Maybe that's strange, but I think it was something that prepared me for what was to come. Never did I imagine adding such wonderful people into my family circle, my children's biological families. I love the way my children have come to me and can't imagine it being any different! Stella and Tristan are such a blessing and I thank God everyday that I get to be with them. They truly are the lights of my life!!! I have some final editing to do on "I Carried You In My Heart", but I have enjoyed re-living the past 9 1/2 years. They have been amazing! Here is a poem I wrote for my book.

You're not of my flesh, but still my own
Of this I can't deny
You came from another who carried you
Who would look at you and cry
Tears of sadness, tears of joy
Both intertwined into one
I'm proud of where you come from
Who you are and who you'll become
Although in my womb I didn't carry you
I carried you in my heart
And from this wonderful woman
Gave me a fresh new magical start
Such gratitude and love I feel
I may never fully express
But, this I promise to you today
I will give it all my very best
I'll love this child with all my might
I've waited for so long
To have a child to call my own
To whom I can belong
So trust me child when I say
My love will never die
You may not be of my flesh, but you're still my own
I'll give you wings to fly

No comments:

Post a Comment